As the sun sets on West Hampstead for the last time in 2011, it is of course a time to reflect – and pose a bunch of silly questions to see whether you’ve been paying attention, or whether the intake of alcohol at the various whampevents has addled your brain.
There are – as last year – no prizes for this. So sit back, click away, and enjoy remembering the whamp year that has passed. Thanks once again for all your support, tweets, blog comments, e-mails, appearance at events, and – in the case of one whamper – throwing your home open to a bunch of strangers for a massive barbecue. On with the quiz!
1. Which creature helped stop the plans to develop Gondar Gardens?
A. the grass snake
B. the red squirrel
C. the giant dung beetle
D. the slow worm
2. Which retailer moved into the former Woolworths’ site on Finchley Road?
3. Which singer was immortalised in graffiti form in West Hampstead?
A. Dusty Springfield
C. John Lennon
D. Billy Fury
4. Which café featured in a kids prank show, featuring yours truly?
A. Café Bon
B. The Wet Fish Café
C. David’s Deli
D. Kitchen Table
5. Who opened the new Sainsbury’s Local on West End Lane?
A. Matt Dimbylow
B. Keith Moffitt
C. Justin Rose
6. Which Hampstead & Kilburn electoral candidate admitted to causing criminal damage this year?
A. Ed Fordham
B. Beatrix Campbell
C. Tamsin Omond
D. Chris Philp
7. How many units are being proposed for the 187-199 West End Lane development?
8. Which cake put Café Bon firmly on the map?
A. Eccles cake
B. Coconut cake
C. Battenburg cake
D. Chocolate cake
9. How did short-lived cafe/restaurant Costello describe itself?
A. “A funky chameleon concept”
B. “Honest grub at honest prices”
C. “In it for the long-haul”
D. “Setting a new benchmark in food”
10. Which local endeavour got national news coverage?
11. Which advertising legend came to West Hampstead this autumn?
A. The Dulux dog
B. The Man from Del Monte
C. The Go Compare singer
D. Aleksandr Orlov the meerkat
0-3 Pay more attention in class
7-9 You’re a keen whamper
10-11 You need to get out more
Thank you and good night.