What have I missed since February 9th?
A fire on the 10th floor of Snowman House was swiftly brought under control, with only one person treated at the scene despite more than a hundred people being evacuated. The fire was caused by a tealight!
1980s’ popstar Steve Strange, who died this week, got his stage name from a West Hampstead postman.
The man arrested in last week’s police swoop on Mill Lane was sent back to jail – he was out on licence.
The new Overground station design has divided opinion. We’re conducting a poll on the Forum to find out what locals think.
Can you help trace Mr Glassup’s St Mary’s school class of 1962?
Hot topics on the WHL Forum (now up to 176 members):
- Best and worst letting agents
- Vote on the Overground plans
- Your thoughts on the Mansion Tax
- Lots of furniture for sale or free
Culture Hub picks this week include a play at the Tricycle (WIN tickets here), a film screening with Emma Thompson Q&A, a top-notch stand-up and not a single shade of grey.
Property News looked at how West Hampstead renters expect a lot for their money these days.
PC Robert Brown, the country’s longest serving police officer, retired this week but he began his 47 year career in West Hampstead.
- Tulip is still odds-on at 1/3 with Ladbrokes, which has the lowest odds for the Conservatives of any of the main bookmakers. It explained why.
- The Crediton Hill Residents Association held a hustings with four of the five main parties present (UKIP was absent). All four performed reasonably well, with the mansion tax being the main area of difference.
- Hustings are coming up thick and fast:
March 11th, Federation of Small Businesses + Ham & High hustings at LDBS SCITT in Kilburn
March 31st, West Hampstead Life + Sherriff Centre hustings at the Sherriff Centre in West Hampstead
April 15th, Friends of West Hampstead Library + WHAT, Synagogue Hall, Dennington Pk Road
- The three main candidates appeared on last week’s Sunday Politics show (ff to 43’33”)
The farmers’ market is seeking planning permission for its large banner. Footfall is down by a third since 2012 and it believes the extra signage is essential. .
The eyesore corner of Finchley Road and West End Lane may finally be developed as flats over a restaurant.
Whampdinner at Mamako was a big hit – one of our buzziest yet… and there’ll be a video of it very soon!
Minkies coffee shop at Kilburn Station has been “opening soon” for longer than most of us have been alive, but the moment of truth looks like it’s upon us.
Tweet of the Week
Overheard in West Hampstead: upon returning from a walk, a resident instructs her poodle, Francis, to "open the door properly".
— Jay Stoll (@jaystoll) February 12, 2015